Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Yost Sea Ranger Launched
Ignore the date on the pictures. I don't know how to use my camera!
I launched the Sea Ranger today. The water is dangerously cold right now so I paddled conservatively. I think I will wait for a little warmer weather to roll! The Ranger is fantastic. It is fast and tracks straight. The front deck is low and makes it perfect for Greenland paddles. The cockpit was roomier than I thought and I felt very secure.
I have to say one of the highlights of the paddle this morning was putting the kayak back on the car! Skin on frames are SOOOOOO light. I always dread dragging my boat out of the water after paddling for a while. I am usually tired and then I have to heft it back onto the rack. This boat is a one hand lift with all the gear still attached!
I have found that I think I prefer this type of construction. I am already thinking I will build some more of these. There is mostly assembly time and very little finishing work (sanding sucks).
The two part resin from skinboats.com is fantastic. I highly recommend it!
The finish weight of this boat is 28lbs. If you are currently building one, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Thank you Tom Yost for the great design and support while building this. You are a great person who has done wonders for the kayak world. If I am ever out your way I will rent a motorcycle and we can go tear up the twisties!
With that, I am sure Mrs Keller is glad this thing is done!
Thursday, April 19, 2007
The Ranger Is Ready For Water!!!!
I am getting excited. The Sea Ranger is ready for the water! I still need to add some small loops for grab handles/paddle catches at the ends and figure my permanent back rest, but otherwise the Ranger is done! The finish weight is 28 lbs even. This boat, by far, was the easiest boat I have built. There is more assembly and less finish work, and for me that means more fun. I decided not to die the nylon and leave that cool translucent look. If it bugs me later or starts to get ugly, I will just paint it. I can't wait to launch it!
Monday, April 16, 2007
The resin was still tacky this morning. It was just too cold last night. I stuck the boat in the living room and cranked the heat up to 80 degrees. That seemed to do the trick! On to the deck!
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Sorry about the pic sizes. My phone wouldn't upload correctly. The 2-part resin from skinboats.com was interesting. It has no smell and went on pretty easy. It was a really messy job but resins usually are. It kicked in about 15 minutes so I had to work pretty fast, even though I did it in 40 degree temp. Tonight I finished the three coats on the hull and will finish the deck tomorrow. I hope it is warm out. I expect the deck to be a little more challenging due to the rounded shape.
The kayak became translucent after the poly was applied. I kind of like it that way! One word of warning for any newbies like myself....when you are steaming out he nylon to shrink it, don't let any water run down the sides of the hull. The water made invisible stains that only showed up after the resin was applied. They don't look that bad. I am still real happy with the results. :)
Saturday, April 14, 2007
A few more pics before sealed....
Friday, April 13, 2007
Cockpit is sewn on....ready for the poly!
My beautiful wife trying out the Ranger in the living room. It's not as low-volume as I thought it was going to be. It feels like the Anas Acuta....probably because I used the same cockpit design.
Saturday, April 07, 2007
Looks good so far I think....not perfect but neither am I so I guess it is a reflection of me. :) I can't wait to get it in the water!
Can't handle the bump.....
So, I can't handle looking at the bump. I have a pretty light heart about my kayak building but the bump on the deck just wasn't gonna fly. It was time for a little surgery. I cut open the deck, installed a support beam, laced her back up, and now I feel much better. I feel more comfortable with the lines and have learned something for the next build (and things that will help my two friends building theirs).
Thursday, April 05, 2007
I am pretty happy with the outcome so far. Knowing what I know now about how this stuff is gonna lay...I would have extended my deck ridges until they disappeared below the shear. I have this weird bump on the deck but I can live with it. I haven't attached the combing yet. That will be the next challenge.
By the way....I LOVE CURVED NEEDLES! You have to get one. They make sewing on a flat surface easy!
Stitching up the Ranger....
After almost getting sick working in the garage for hours....I realized I could just stitch it up in the living room! Shhhh....don't tell my wife. She's out of town!
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Had a little time last night....
I sealed up the plywood stations last night with poly. I pulled the aluminum and floorboards out for it. I am going to seal the coaming with epoxy today, which is not attached yet. I am leaning towards sewing it on like a traditional combing. The baseplate is glued to the frame but the rest would just be floating.
I am going to be using nylon and a 2-part poly to seal it. I am nervous about the sewing because I have never done it. I hope to start Weds.